2023 RSC Update - Term 1, Week 1
1. SCHOOL OPPORTUNITIES
- Badminton: Sporting Schools
- Flippa Ball Term 1 Roster
- Futsal Tasmania: School Futsal Titles 2023
- Hockey: Pro League Junior Clinics now available!
- Eastside Squash Interschool Pennant
- RecLink NW Community Series
- Southern Tas Table Tennis Association: Junior Program
2. PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
- Athletics: Level 1 Community Coaching Course
- Paddle Tasmania: Professional Development
- The Ultimate Outdoor Classroom Immersive PL: South
- Schools Upgrade Fund: Open Round
- The Sports Excellence Scholarship Fund (SESF): Applications Now Open
- 2023 Youth Week Tasmania Grants
4. COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITIES
- Tasmanian Girls Golf Fun Day
- Southern Autumn Twilight Series
5. DEADLINES & REMINDERS
- 2023 All Schools Cross Country: Save the Date!
- 2023 High School Netball Championships
- 2023 Tasmanian All Schools MTB Championships
- Schools Tri 2023 Dates
- Touch School Series: 2023 Save the Date
We would love to run a Sporting Schools Badminton Program in your school with the aim to introduce badminton to your students while having a fun and enjoyable experience.
By way of introduction, I manage and deliver the Sporting Schools Badminton Program for Badminton Tasmania. Previous to my current role I was the National Coach at Badminton Australia for over 12 years and coached at three Olympic Games and three Commonwealth Games. I am based in Hobart.
If you received Sporting Schools funding for Term 1, 2023 or are considering badminton for Term 2, 3 or 4 please don't hesitate to contact me. In 2022 we conducted the Sporting Schools Badminton Program for more than 25 schools around Tasmania.
For further information please find below the Sporting School Badminton Flyer.
Flippa Ball will be returning Term 1, with team nominations due by Sunday 12 Feb!
Flippa Ball is a non-contact modified version of water polo, played in the shallow end of the pool so suitable for all swimming levels.
Students should only play in their own age group unless permission has been given by the WPTAS Flippa Ball coordinator.
The first games start Sunday 19-Feb at Clarence pool, with a Come and Try session held Thurs 9-Feb from 7.40-8.10pm and 8.10-8.40pm.
There will be no game on Sunday 12 Feb due to the long weekend.
Games will start 5.15pm and we will aim to finish by 8.15pm, which will be dependent on the number of teams entering, and training will be on Tuesdays from 14-Feb, 7.40-8.10pm and 8.10-8.40pm.
Registrations for each child (and coach) are required through WPTAS, all volunteers MUST have WWVP, and the roster will be published on the WPTAS FB page by 5pm Wed 15 Feb. See the flyer below or visit Flippa Ball - Water Polo Tasmania website for more details.
Alia - Water Polo Tasmania
Futsal Tasmania's most exciting event of the year is back for 2023, the School Futsal Titles, and registrations are now open!
Dates as follows:
DEVONPORT - Venue: Devonport Recreation Centre, 34 Forbes Street
- Primary School (8–12yrs boys and girls) - Tuesday 9th May
- High School (13–14yrs boys and girls ) - Wednesday 10th May
- High School (15–16yrs boys and girls) - Thursday 11th May
HOBART - Venue: Futsal Institute Tasmania, 2 Hornby Road, Goodwood
- Primary School (8-12yrs) - Tuesday 16th May
- High School (13 & 14yr boys & girls) - Wednesday 17th May
- High School (15 & 16 boys & girls) - Thursday 18th May
- College (under 19 boys & girls) TBC
LAUNCESTON - Venue: Elphin Sports Centre, Racecourse Crescent
- Primary School (8-11yr old boys) - Tuesday 23rd May
- Primary School (12yr boys, 10 & 12 girls) - Wednesday 24th May
- College (under 19yr boys and girls) - Thursday 25th May
- High School (13-16yr boys and girls) - Thursday 25th May
Times are approximately 8.30am-2.45pm.
All players must be from the same school as they are representing their school. Each team must have either a parent or teacher as team contact to organise the team.
Cost: $175 per team entry - payment to be made online when registering.
To register: Regional School Futsal Titles
Teams must be as per their grade. Players can play up but not down or across groups.
Teams can be mixed.
Games: each team plays a minimum of 4 games - straight 20 minutes (no half time).
Winning and runner up teams receive medals with winners receiving a plaque for the school and will also qualify for Champion of Champions to be held in June.
Pathway: Players on winning teams will be invited to the National Schools Tournament September/October 2023 in Brisbane to represent Tasmania. Other players selected on performance during the competition may also be invited.
Note: Players and winning teams are selected to represent Futsal Tasmania from the schools tournament and maybe made up with selected players from different schools.
Spaces are limited so get in early. If you have any questions, please contact Romeo on 0438735562 or email email@example.com.
All questions regarding registration fees please contact Deb McPherson on email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph: 0408 012 921
Hobart is lucky to be hosting the International Hockey Federation Pro League this month, with women's and men's teams from Argentina, USA, Spain and the Aussie Hockeyroos and Kookaburras!
On each of the 6 match days, 28th Feb - 5th March, Hockey Tasmania will be running Junior Hook In 2 Hockey Clinics, run by Southern Clubs and supported by International Athletes.
The clinics are aimed at players between 6-12 years old, but if you have an older group that would be interested in being a part of the clinic we can discuss running an older age clinic during the week as well.
This is a great opportunity for upcoming players to meet and learn from some of the best Hockey Players in world, including Tasmanian Kookaburras Eddie Ockenden, Josh Beltz and Jack Welch and Hockeyroo Maddie Brooks who will be making her debut in Hobart!
Clinics will last 1 hour and will run from 3:30pm-4:30pm, and will be followed by both International Matches that begin at 5:10pm and 7:10pm. All teachers and students will need to purchase a ticket ($15 for juniors, $30 for adults) to enter the venue on the day - groups over 10 people will have access to a code that will give them a 15% discount. Those taking part in the clinics will need to select the Junior + HookIn2Hockey Clinic option.
Visit the Hockey Tasmania Website for the game schedule and more details
If you are interested in being a part of these clinics please contact Josh Mardell and indicate your preference day of attendance.
Schools will be allocated on a first come first served basis, so secure your participation today!
Josh Mardell - Hockey Tasmania
Phone: 0401 941 901
Eastside Squash Centre is pleased to announce the return of the Interschool Squash Pennant for Grades 7-12 in Terms 2 and 3 2023
Located at 1 Alma Street, Bellerive, the Club has 8 courts and plenty of room for a great sporting and social activity.
Interschool pennant details:
- Teams of 3 players and an optional emergency (combined school teams allowed).
- Games played from 6pm Friday nights:
- 28-April - free team practice
- 5-May - grading and final registration
- 12-May to 30-June - pennant games played
Cost: Team registration fee of $20, plus $8 per player court fee each week (approx $87 per player for 10 weeks)
Phone: 0499 299 474
Reclink is pleased to announce the Community Series will run in the North West again this year!
Please find attached the list of dates that has been confirmed for the North West 2023 school year to include AFL, Cricket, Netball and Basketball.
All of these programs will provide scholarship opportunities for boys and girls at our public schools and we hope that we can continue to have more of our schools involved next year.
Sam Rubock - Reclink Australia
Phone: 0431 141 110
The Southern Tasmanian Table Tennis Association is once again offering a Junior Table Tennis Program, with two key elements this term.
First, we will be running a roster commencing on 13 February 2023 over eight weeks. There will be three divisions to cater for all abilities for students aged 11-17 years. On 13 February we will play a round robin to rank players and then allocate teams to divisions. There will then be a seven week competition.
Secondly, we offer schools the opportunity to book our ten table stadium! STTTA offer trained coaches to run the sessions or alternatively teachers can take the sessions themselves.
See the flyer below for full details of these offerings.
Jamie Bayly-Stark - STTTA
Phone: 0417 561 817
Athletics Tasmania is currently welcoming Expressions of Interest from members of the athletics community who wish to complete a blended Level 1 Community Coach accreditation.
The cost of the course is $180 which includes your coach registration with Athletics Australia.
The prospective in-person workshop will be delivered by Rob Ballard (State Performance Advisor – TIS) in February or March and will be held in Hobart from 9:00am until 4:00pm. It is the intention to hold more courses this year in the North and South of the State.
Note: Expressing interest in the course, will not guarantee your place in the upcoming course.
For more information on the course details and benefits of being an accredited coach, visit https://www.athletics.com.au/coach-framework/1cac/
For more information on the AA Coach accreditation framework, visit
If you are interested in the Level 1 course, please complete the online form.
Paddle Tasmania is offering a wide range of professional development opportunities in 2023, including the following.
Flatwater Guide/Instructor Training and Assessment
Do you need to get a Flatwater kayaking qualification? Please see our offering, don't forget to sign up before the deadline!
- 18-19 Feb
- Hobart area
Kayaking Foundation and Fundamentals
This course is perfect for anyone either wanting to get into paddling, or wanting to take their skills to the next level. You can participate in a Kayak, Canoe or Packraft. It can include optional Whitewater Skills and Rescue 1 assessment for those looking for a more formal outcome
- 25-26 Feb
- Derwent River
Sea Kayaking Guide/Instructor
Would you like to improve your paddling skills, explore some great places and get a qualification? This is the course for you! Our 5 day training and assessment course will give you the skills and qualification to take others out in the sea.
- 1-5 March
- Hobart region
Please see our attached calendar below or visit our website or facebook page for full offerings.
We are more than happy to also offer tailored solutions - either training or program delivery. Please get in contact with any requests via email@example.com.
Tom Calderwood - Paddle Tasmania
Phone: 0413 977 673
Everyone should have the opportunity to play in school and be a part of the action in any way they choose
Here are five things schools can do today to make it a more inclusive place:
- Be open and flexible. There are a variety of ways people with disability can be involved in your school.
- Use person-first language. Focus is on the person before their disability e.g. “person with disability”.
- Ask don’t assume. Ask the person with disability how they would like to participate, don’t make assumptions about what they can and can’t do.
- Accessibility helps everyone. Remember that small changes can have big impacts on a person with disability.
- Get your school involved. Kick start your inclusion journey by registering to take part in the Sport4All training program.
Learn the best practice nature pedagogy methods with loads of practical ideas, from experts in Nature Pedagogy & Child Psychology. Leave inspired and energised!
- Practical lessons in using real hand tools, tree climbing, bush craft, cultural practices with fire, fire cooking and whittling.
- Risk analysis & developing a workplace outdoor learning handbook.
- Documentation & planning- links to Curriculum & Inquiry.
- The risk types and how to cater for them.
- Fostering resilience, team work, problem solving and creativity in your students (and yourselves!)
- How to support safe risk taking (and why!)
- How to plan for child-led learning (and why!)
- What to do when things get messy or uncomfortable.
- How to foster community acceptance of your Nature classroom.
Early Bird $445pp before Feb 17| Full $495pp inc. gst. Includes morning tea & lunch daily.
30-31 March, 2023 at the Lea Scout Camp, Kingston.
Kara Spence - Nature. Be in it.
Phone: 0430 181 925
Applications close 11.59 pm AEDT on Friday 24 February 2023.
All schools (both government and non-government) can apply online for grants of up to $25,000 via the Australian Governments Schools Upgade Fund Open Round.
An applicant can seek funding for multiple eligible projects if the total funding sought does not exceed $25,000. Where a school is composed of multiple campuses, the school may apply to deliver projects across multiple campuses, as long as the total funding sought does not exceed $25,000.
Applications are now open and close 11.59 pm AEDT on Friday 24 February 2023. Successful schools will be notified in May 2023, with funding to be provided in June 2023.
See the Schools Upgrade Fund Guidelines which provide more information on eligible projects and should be read carefully before completing and submitting an application for funding.
All applications for funding under the Open Round should be made via the online application form.
Further information is available in the Schools Upgrade Fund Factsheet and frequently asked questions.
Sports Excellence Scholarship Fund (SESF) scholarships are for families and students who demonstrate the need for financial support to attend national and international events.
What is the Sports Excellence Scholarship Fund (SESF)?
The SESF is a registered charity. It supports primary, secondary and college students aged 10 to 18 years old, whose financial circumstances would preclude them from otherwise participating at representative level for their state or Australia.
$1,000 per scholarship.
Successful scholarship recipients will be required to submit photos, videos and a testimonial documenting their story at their National or International Championship.
Who can apply and what are the criteria?
- State or national team representative students who are enrolled in an Australian school. This includes government and non-government schools and multi-class athletes.
- Students who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
- Families or students who demonstrate financial need.
- Families and students can re-apply each year, regardless of the outcome of the application the previous year.
When can I apply?
You can apply at any stage of the school year, as long as it is at least one week before your departure to the event.
How do I apply?
Visit www.sesf.org.au/application to submit your application.
Note: Applicants will be required to supply additional documentation, including endorsement from your School Principal.
For more information, please read the Terms and Conditions available on the SESF website.
Lauren Buysen - SESF
Phone: 0418 353 216
Applications close 2pm Thurs 23-Feb 2023.
Since 2000, National Youth Week has provided a celebration of the efforts and contributions of young people aged 12–25 years in their communities. In 2018, a new chapter began with the first celebration of Youth Week Tasmania, funded entirely by the Tasmanian Government.
Youth Week Tasmania aims to be inclusive of young Tasmanians from all communities, and to be celebrated in all regions of Tasmania.
It will be held from Monday 1-May to Sunday 7-May 2023, with a theme of 'Acceptance' and slogan 'Be Bold. Be You.'
Through the Youth Week Grants the Tasmanian Government aims to:
- Showcase the talents and skills of young people
- Celebrate the contributions of young people in communities, in education and in the workforce
- Build the capacity of young people to engage with the broader community and develop practical skills through their involvement in planning and delivering Youth Week Tasmania events or activities
- The Tasmanian Government has allocated $20 000 for the Youth Week Tasmania 2023 Grants Program.
- Grants of up to $2 000 are available to organisations to support Youth Week Tasmania 2023 events or activities, or projects.
- Organisations may submit more than one application but will need to rank submissions in order of priority.
Applicants should read and understand the program Guidelines prior to submitting an application.
All applicants funded under this Grants Program must comply with any COVID-19 requirements and restrictions for events in place at the time of their event, including the Tasmanian Government’s A Framework for COVID-19 Safe Events and Activities in Tasmania.
The Royal Hobart Golf Club is hosting a Tasmanian Girls Golf Fun Day on 2 April.
New players are encouraged to come along & try golf where Courtney Docking will deliver a fun day of activities!
- Equipment will be provided if required, or if you have your own clubs please bring these along
- $30 (includes lunch)
- Sunday 2nd April, 9:30am - 1:00pm
- Royal Hobart Golf Club, 20 Regal Court, Seven Mile Beach.
- Register now via mygolf.org.au
Phone: 0438 667 331
The popular Southern Autumn Twilight Orienteering Series is back in 2023!
It will be held on Wednesdays after school during Term 1, commencing February 15.
The series is aimed at beginners, but there are coures available for all levels of experience.
It's suitable for children from primary school age and families.
No experience or special equipment is necessary.
Mike Calder - Orienteering Tasmania
Athletics Tasmania would like to announce the dates for the 2023 Tasmanian All Schools Cross Country events at Symmons Plains.
These will be conducted in Term 2, in the last two weeks of June:
- 20 June 2023 - Secondary (Tuesday of week 9)
- 27 June 2023 - Primary (Tuesday of week 10)
More details to come closer to the events.
Netball Tasmania are excited to confirm next year's High School State Championship dates!
2023 will see all three regions (South, North and North West) play regional games during the same week, with finals hosted in the North-west:
- Tuesday 19th September - 7/8 Girls
- Wednesday 20th September - 7/8 Boys
- Thursday 21st September - 9/10 Girls
- Friday 22nd September - 9/10 Boys
State-Wide Finals (played in the Northwest):
- Tuesday 31st October - Girls
- Wednesday 1st November - Boys
Phone: 0459 968 070
The 2023 edition of the Tas All Schools MTB Champs is scheduled for Friday 5-May!
This is the 2nd Friday in Term 2 (note that NAPLAN in March from next year so this will no longer affect preparations).
Venue: Trevallyn Nature Recreation Area
Events for girls and boys from Grade 7 to 12's, with more details to be provided closer to the event.
Phone: 03 6341 9988
2023 Schools Triathlon Challenge dates are as follows:
Devonport (Week 6 - Term 4)
Note: the Devonport event will be held on a Thurs/Fri this year
- Secondary Schools / Colleges - Thursday 23rd November 2023
- Primary Schools - Friday 24th November 2023
Hobart (Week 7 / Term 4)
- Secondary Schools / Colleges - Thursday 30th November 2023
- Primary Schools - Friday 1st December 2023
Touch Football Tas are pleased to confirm the following Term 3 dates for the 2023 School Series as follows:
- North West - Tue 15 August, Devonport
- South - Mon & Tue 21-22 August, Hobart
- North - Mon & Tue 28-29 August, Launceston
- Finals - Wed 6 September hosted in Launceston.
- North West - Mon 14 August, Devonport
- South - Fri 18 August, Hobart
- North - Fri 25 August, Launceston
- No Primary School State Finals
Full details to come in the new year.
Des Fogarty - Touch Football Tas
Phone: 0438 279 798